Thursday, August 30, 2007

Not sure how to start...

but, I am so impressed with my sister in law Katie's blog I thought I would give it a chance. This is a pretty important time in our lives as Kris and I are trying to start a family and I thought a blog would be a nice way to commemorate that. Of course since we are not 16 and single we are not having a very easy time getting pregnant. We have been trying for a while now and nothing!! So the Type A personality took over and I decided to go see my Dr. and find out what the heck the problem was, all the while hoping that he would tell me there was no problem and I should just relax (that is what everyone else was telling me!!) Unfortunately that was not the case. I had blood work and 2 ultrasounds done last week and we found a problem, I have elevated prolactin levels in my blood. For those of you that do not know what prolactin is, (and really, who does?? I didn't) it is the hormone that make women lactate when they get ready to breastfeed. When I heard this I thought very sacrilegiously, that this must be God's sense of humor kicking in!! As some of you know and some of you may not I had a breast reduction done 4 years ago and because of this I am unable to breastfeed, so OF ALL THE HORMONES in my body to have too much of I have this one!! The cause of this condition which is called hyperprolactinemia (now that is a 50 point scrabble word) is most likely a small non-cancerous tumor on my pituitary gland. There are a few other causes that are not as common but that seems to be the main one. So, tom. I will go in and have more bloodwork done to make sure I actually have this fun condition and if the bloodwork comes back with high levels again I will have an MRI on Thursday. Now as dreary as all that sounds it is actually not too bad, if the MRI comes back and shows a tumor smaller than a centimeter we are ok, I will just start taking some medicine called Bromocitrine (not sure on the spelling of that one) which will lower my prolactin levels, then hopefully we get pregnant. Once we do I stop the meds until after I give birth, the we test and start them again until the tumor shrinks. I will have to have my levels checked every year but I will only have to be on the meds if the tumor starts to grow again. So that is why I named my blog Baby Kalk and the eternal optimist in me is the reason for the 08. I do have to say though that the silver lining in all this has been the amazing support I have gotten from my friends and family, and most importantly from Kris. He is my rock and has made it very clear that he thinks everything will be fine. He has also made it very clear that his ONLY concern at this point is my health, which knowing how much he wants children it is all the more special to hear him say that and to know that he means it. It has only been 2 days since we found all this out and I have to say my heart goes out to all the people that face more serious infertility issues, I read everyday about people who have tried for YEARS to have a baby and are still trying and I cannot imagine what they must feel. If this is the only problem we encounter on our journey to parenthood then we will be very blessed and very lucky. So this is where we will end today thanks for tuning in!!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Welcome to the blogging world! One of my friends was diagnosed with the same condition this spring. After just a few months on the medication, she conceived and everything is going really well for her. I hope that you have the same kind of good response and won't have to wait much longer!

singletracey said...

Welcome To Blogland!

Sunny said...

Welcome to the blog world!

lub said...

Welcome to the blogosphere! I am relatively new also! I hope you find what you need here and good luck on the results!